Toners are mainly known for two things: 1) for rebalancing skin after cleansing, and 2) for helping to wipe off residual debris and clear pores, particularly for acne-prone skin.
These functions are indeed very important facets of daily skincare… but there is so much more a toner can offer.
In this article, you will learn:
- Why You Need a pH Adjusting Toner
- Featured Ingredients in our Dew pH Perfecting Toner and Why They Work
- How To Apply Your Toner in 3 Easy Steps
- Can a pH Toner Work Anywhere Else Besides the Face?
Why You Need a pH Adjusting Toner
Despite the common notion that we no longer need to replenish the equilibrium in our skin since modern cleansers are more gentle (which isn’t always true), your skin still greatly benefits from a liquid formula that respects your skin’s pH levels, optimally preparing it for better absorption and spreadability of the rest of your skin care products.
But compared to decades ago, the difference now is that your toner can offer multifunctional benefits for your skin: It can provide luxurious nourishment, hydration, anti-aging benefits, and soothing effects, which come in handy, not only for sensitive skin, but for anyone who uses potent, sensitizing active ingredients like retinol.
Circcell’s Dew is truly the ultimate skincare product, so much so that we dare say it’s the one we’d take with us on the proverbial desert island. This softening, water-based blend is a gentle pH primer to ensure your skin is happy before you continue with your serums, oils, and creams.
Featured Ingredients in our Dew pH Perfecting Toner and Why They Work
Our pH-balancing Dew features an expertly curated bouquet of ingredients chosen to help you prime and prep, as well as experience a dewy glow even before the first dab of moisturizer.
Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid that comes with many advantages, perfect to bottle up in a high-performing toner:
- Balances your pH: Lactic acid assists with pH balance and helps to restore balance to your skin.
- Exfoliates: It’s also a natural substance that gently exfoliates while speeding up cell turnover and stimulating your skin’s cell renewal process.
- Hydrates: Unlike most exfoliators, lactic acid can actually improve hydration in the skin, keeping it moisturized throughout the day.
- Rejuvenates: This ingredient can also stimulate collagen production in your skin which is why it’s added in many anti-aging skin care products.
- Brightens: Lactic acid can even out hyperpigmentation, diminish the appearance of sunspots, as well as fade small fine lines.
- Smoothes: This acid’s exfoliating abilities can even help to smooth away and clear out those frustrating small bumps many people tend to deal with on the top and back of their arms.
Silk Amino Acids
Silk amino acids are potent peptides that are abundant in skin benefits to protect and balance your skin:
- Hydrates: Silk amino acids provide ample hydration that leave your skin feeling plush and plump.
- Anti-aging: This powerful ingredient smooths out fine lines and wrinkles.
- Balances your pH: These amino acids regulate the skin’s pH and even out the skin tone.
- Protects: Silk amino acids contain properties that protect the skin barrier and fight against free radicals.
Camphor is a very soothing ingredient that’s extracted from camphora trees. Its many benefits make it an ideal choice to add in a pH balancing toner:
- Clears acne: Camphor attacks the bio-elements that cause breakouts.
- Creates radiance: This botanical ingredient is known to increase blood circulation, promoting a healthy, radiant glow.
- Anti-inflammatory: This plant also cools, relaxes, and depuffs the skin.
Witch hazel has powerful antioxidant and astringent properties that truly benefit the skin:
- Tightens pores: Witch hazel is known to help large pores contract and close.
- Diminishes acne: This powerhouse ingredient is one of nature’s most potent astringents that can help clear acne, blackheads, whiteheads, and prevent future breakouts.
- Repairs: Witch hazel can fight against the effects of sun damage thanks to its richness in thanks to its tannins and polyphenols.
This highly-prized plant goes back to the natural remedies of Native Americans thanks to its ability to soothe sensitive or irritated skin:
- Soothes: Canadian willowherb keeps the skin balanced and calm, making it a great addition to any pH balancing toner.
- Protects: This plant’s rich antioxidant properties help prevent cell damage from free radicals, which keep the skin’s pH in balance.
- Antibacterial: Canadian willowherb has been proven to have strong antibacterial qualities that kill specific acne-causing bacteria before they work up the courage to cause pesky breakouts.
Known as one of the most beneficial ingredients in skin care, sodium hyaluronate boasts impressive benefits:
- Hydrating: Sodium hyaluronate can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water. Its small molecules can help penetrate the skin and retain deep hydration throughout the day.
- Boosts absorption: This skin care ingredient can promote microcirculation and nutrient absorption for healthy skin. Pairing sodium hyaluronate with other nutrient-dense ingredients in our Dew pH balancing toner helps your skin absorb their benefits.
- Softens: This superstar ingredient can soften the skin, allowing you to enjoy a smooth, plump complexion with less fine lines.
This potent extract is powerfully healing, protecting the skin and providing benefits:
- Anti-Inflammatory: Arnica helps to bring down inflammation and morning puffiness, revealing a more contoured, youthful complexion.
- Healing: Every good pH-protecting toner needs an ingredient like arnica to help balance the skin while healing any acne scars and marks. This is a very popular ingredient among active people, who apply arnica on bruises for expedited healing.
- Clears skin: Arnica can help clear blemishes, making it a great choice to prevent and treat existing acne.
How To Apply Your Toner in 3 Easy Steps
Step 1: Cleanse
It’s important to wash your face so your skin is fresh and clean before proceeding to apply your toner.
Step 2: Tone
Presuming the skin’s delicate moisture barrier has been stripped of its natural oils, it’s time to apply your pH balancing toner. You can apply it during your day and nighttime skin care routines.
Step 3: Proceed With Your Skin Care Routine
Once you apply Dew on your face, the result is a beautiful, radiant finish. Any blotchiness, redness, and irritation are allayed, and skin is instantly perked up.
Does the pH Toner Work Anywhere Else Besides the Face?
Dew can also be used to improve the appearance of crepey, sagging skin on the arms and body. In fact, a few Dew users have even told us it’s smoothed out the dimples in their thighs and helped diminish sagging on their arms.
This is more than just a toner and just as essential as your serums and creams, Dew makes for gorgeous skin that can’t be outshined. Try it out here.
Mechanical engineer and Wharton MBA, Maya Crothers, began her career in corporate America where she worked in consulting and operations for a variety of Fortune 100 companies. After leaving the corporate world and moving to Jackson Hole, WY she found the need for high performance, clean skincare that could stand up to extreme environments. This led to her founding Circcell Skincare. She lives in Jackson Hole with her husband, two children and a menagerie of animals.